Sunday 23 December 2007

Good housekeeping - 1955

I'm going to cause a huge ruckus with this entry. I do want to make it clear that I do not agree with the recommendations in this piece, which I copied from the Housekeeping Monthly of 13 May 1955. Read it? Nineteen fifty-five.

1 Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

2 Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

3 Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

4 Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

5 Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc and then run a dustcloth over the tables.

6 Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

7 Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimise all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer and vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

8 Be happy to see him.

9 Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

10 Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, this topics of conversation are more important than yours.

11 Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late, goes out to dinner or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

12 Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquillity where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

13 Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

14 Don't complain if he's home late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

15 Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

16 Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing, and pleasant voice.

17 Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

18 A good wife always knows her place.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was laughing my butt off when I read this over here.  You know why?  Because my husband has told me that I was very old fashioned and he didn't think there were any left like me and now I know why.  This described me oh too well except for three places, 14, 17 & 18.  Number 14 has/will never happen, as for 17 I'm a person, not his pet, and 18 well, I do know my place and it's not underfoot.  

I know this was included for fun.  I was just kinda shocked when I read it that it sounded so much like me, lol

Here's wishing you the happiest best holiday ever from the state of Georgia, USA from both Dirk and I.


NELISHIA
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Crocheted-Creations/

Anonymous said...

LOL  Now that's funny right there!  Scary, because of where you found it but funny looking back on it.  
I think that June Cleaver had these steps down pat!
:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my Oh my.....LOL.....June:)

Anonymous said...

Guido,
You have been right there with me thru all of this for ober a year now and i value your opinion. I agree with all of you. i healed, moved on, became a better person and have a great life now. I hurt every time he calls now though, it opens up all that heartache agai8n. But i won't be taking his calls anymore...maybe the next girl he finds..or found...will see through his crap too!
Lori

Anonymous said...

NO WONDER I'M NOT MARRIED!!!!!  LOL!!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! This too funny! I will definitely NOT show this to John!! He'd have too much fun with it!!

Phyllis

Anonymous said...

This sounds like my mother to a T. I grew up in those times.  It's the way it was then.
Carolxx

Anonymous said...

Iv'e been doing all this for 33 yrs and I'm still not his wife LOL!!LOL.I
believe thats why I am ready for a break down...... (OF THE ABOVE SEVENTEEN ) Haaaaaaaaaaaa.It's a good job Kath can still laugh though .Thankyou just what the doctor ordered.Take care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriaand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe women actually followed these ridiculous rules!  I would arrange his pillows, right over his face with light pressure if he expected me to abide by this!!!  What a hoot!  
Lisa